Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Infamous Four: Summer Camp Story 1

This story is copyrighted by me, Kyt. The characters are mine, and they in no way reflect anyone living or dead no matter when they were born or will be born. Anyone interested in paying me for the story, or creating a movie out of this story, just comment below and email me with the legalities. Thanks!

Please be advised, that this story is still being worked on and expanded, as currently, it is short.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Summer Camp in the Swiss Alps: The Infamous Four

“Summer camp amongst the rich in the Swiss Alps,” said Mary excitedly. “This should be good for a few laughs!”

“Agreed.” David looked over at Mary. “I wonder if Priscilla is going to be there? She is always a top notch comedian!”

“Especially when Isannah is around. Did they finally let Priscilla back into her house? It must be rough losing the last of your kin like that.”

“The court said that the housekeeper is legal guardian and can watch her. But, everyone else, especially the housekeeper and servants, thought she’d be better off with Isannah and her family.”

“Better for whom - Priscilla or the servants?”

“The servants, of course.” David and Mary laughed so hard, their sides ached. David turned towards Mary. Seriously, the housekeeper said something about giving Priscilla something to do besides bark orders. The servants all agreed to quit if Priscilla was left to her own endeavors at the house. Isannah parents sided with the servants and the housekeeper. Thus, the court ruled that Priscilla will stay with Isannah because peers are a necessity at so fragile a state of mind.”



“Her mind is fragile alright. One move that she herself didn’t bark and order for and she falls to pieces.”

“And all of the King’s men and all the King’s horses couldn’t put Miss Humpty Dumpty together again.” David and Mary bursted they were laughing so hard.

Children from elite families from all over the world were arriving in limousines, helicopter or private jet. Camp counselors were giving out cabin assignments. Chauffers were grabbing luggage and putting them on carts while the children stood by helplessly and watched. Mary rolled up to a counselor while David went over to the other one. “I’m Mary, what cabin please?”

“Hello Mary. I am Ms. Davis. You are in cabin 15.”

Mary thanked her and rolled off to tell her chauffer. David came back and started to push the luggage cart before Mary could say a word.

“No, no! I will get it.” The chauffer reached for the handle bar. “It’s apart of my job description. Mary, which cabin?”

“Cabin 15.”

“But, I’m in,” David started and then stopped. Mary and the chauffer were already out of ear shot.

Mary opened the cabin door and rolled in. “Nice sitting room. Good, bookshelves and foreign books.”

Mary rolled down the hall to check out the other rooms as the chauffer started unloading the suitcases. “David, it has two large bedrooms. I wonder who my roommate is?” Mary didn’t even wait for an answer. “And look at the bathroom! It has a wonderful granite top, 2 glass bowl sinks, and swan faucets!”

Mary explored the tub and shower. “Oh, oh. The shower is over the tub and is so not handicap accessible! How am I going to use it?”

David leaned against the door frame. “Use the sink like I do. It works. Besides, it’s faster and means less mess to clean.”

“The sink? Too hard. I’m not like you. Besides, I’ll get my chair all wet. No doing.” Mary cocked her head to one side. “What cabin are you in?”

“Uh, later. If you get my drift.”

“I don’t know who my roommate is. I hope it isn’t Pamela. I’ll never get to sleep with her!”

“It isn’t.”

“How do you know?”

“Believe me, I know. And do I ever know!”

Mary looked at David with a confused expression. David went back to the sitting room and started moving the suitcases into the bedrooms. Mary decided to try and help. She rolled over to the suitcases and started trying to pull one suitcase and place it on her feet.

“What is in this suitcase? It weighs a ton!" Mary said with shock on her face. "My mother never packs anything this heavy.” She examined the suitcase. “Hey David! I think I found your suitcase!” David grabbed the suitcase from her. “So David, what do you have in here, rocks?”

“No, textbooks. For free time. I wouldn’t want my brain to rot from lack of exercise, you know.”

Mr. Erikson walked into the cabin. “Sorry, we seem to have made a mistake. We need to move you David.”

Mary’s eyes darted back and forth between Mr. Erikson and David. “What mistake?” she wondered.

“No. I have already moved to cabin 16 next door.” David quickly changed the subject to a more pressing matter. “The bathroom is not handicap accessible.”

“I know. The workmen are fixing that in about 20 minutes. That is when you two are due at the camp meeting at the mess tent. See you then.”

“Wait,” David urged. “Will it come with a chair for the tub and rails around the tub?”

“Why," Mr. Erikson asked, making it clear that he really had no clue what the needs were of a person in a wheelchair.

“She can’t get in and out of the tub without them. The alternative would be to have me help her. I’ve done it before. Also, she needs to sit on the chair while taking her shower.” David explained patiently.

“Uh, no!" Mr. Erikson could see the parents accusations flying. "We can’t have that. I’ll see to it.”

David did not let up. “Actually, I would feel better if we did that together. I know how high those rods needs to be placed. And I know where.”

“I am sure the workmen know there jobs.” Mr. Erikson said as a matter-of-a-fact.

Mary decided she had better jump in. “With all due respect Mr. Erikson, workmen do not know where to place rods. Their training does not teach them how high to place rods for people in wheelchairs. I know. I’ve been through this too many times before. I refuse to believe that Europe is the exception, especially since Europe has yet to catch up with the United States on their handicap accessibility laws. I insist that both David and I help them with such matters. You only need to give them the order to give us what we need and ask for.”

“But..” Mr. Erikson started.

“I assure you, David is trained in this area. His dad is an Engineer. David has studied architecture and design problems for the physically challenged. I insist he be here. His knowledge is mandatory.”

Mr. Erikson waved his finger, “Very well. But, no tricks! I don't want the insurance on my back!”

David rolled his eyes. “We are discussing the placement of rods for Mary’s safety. Any tricks could be lethal. Them not placing those rods correctly, could mean a liability suit for the camp. I assure you, it is in your best interest for both of us to supervise this project.”

He relented, “Understood. Okay, I’ll see you in 15 minutes then.” Mr. Erikson left the cabin.

Mary turned to David with a shock look, “You were assigned to this cabin?”

“Yes. And it is this cabin I am staying in, with you. Besides, Thomas is next door and I will explain everything to him.”

“But, won’t you get caught?”

“Not very likely. Eddie was here last year. He say’s that they have the same counselors this year. And that they never walk in to the cabins after the initial camp meeting begins for any reason whatsoever, except when one of the cabin members specifically invites them in.”

“You mean, that if they see you leaving this cabin, they are going to become suddenly deaf, dumb and blind?”

“No. Who is to say that me coming out of this cabin means I actually stayed here? They have a camp bell that does the wake-up call. The counselors spend most of their times preparing for the next activity, making sure that everything is just so. Eddie says its because some of the rich families are so picky-picky that they are worried that they won’t come back. So, they basically let the children do what they want within reason.”

“Sweet! So, what do you think our parents will think when they find out? You know parents day will mean showing off our rooms.”

“They won’t find out. But, if they did, they’d probably think we were diving into the some sort of crudeness that isn’t even apart of our vocabulary.”

“Yeah, like kissing or something. I’m glad you don’t believe in kissing before marriage. It makes me feel very secure with you.”

“Thanks! Same here. I know you want me for my brain and not my money or my body. Some people are so shallow. Take Priscilla for example…” The bell rang loud and clear. “Well, I guess we’ll have to unpack later. It’s time.”

A loud rap came at the door. David went to answer it. After giving detailed explanations with markings on the walls as to where the rails must go, David and Mary took off to the camp meeting. As an extra, Mary was even getting the entire front side of the cabinet taken off so that she would have room for her legs under the sink. And, they were getting a brand new linen closet to use instead of the storage under the sink.

Mary nudged David as they walked by Priscilla’s cabin.

“No! No! No! I said the blue dress goes next to the green dress! Are you color blind or what,” Priscilla barked at her maid.

“Barking as usual,” David said. “It’s no wonder she isn’t a seal.” They shared a good laugh.

“I can’t have the red dress next to the green one! It will look like Merry Christmas. No one wears red with green! Can’t you do anything right?” Priscilla bellowed.

“Imagine that, David. Microscopically arranging a closet!”

“She is a boar, pun intended!”

“No! I shan’t have my socks in the same drawer as my barrettes. My hair will then smell like feet!” Priscilla yelled and stomped her foot.

David looked with shock at Mary, “I didn’t know she suffered from Alcoholic Fetus Syndrome. No wonder her IQ is all mixed-up. You know, can’t count, thinks one smells feet if barrettes are placed next to clean socks in a drawer. I feel sorry for her.”

Mary was laughing so hard that she couldn’t even push herself. David pushed her to the mess tent, cracking jokes all the way.

Campers filed in and noisily took their chairs. The Mess tent was more like a grand dining room than a mess tent. Blue Velvet curtains draped the windows. The tables were made of expensive red mahogany draped with fine damask linen.

Ms. Davis blew the whistle. “Listen up everybody! Ladies! Gentlemen! Listen up!” The campers slowly quieted down. “Just a few camp rules. Maids clean cabins promptly at 8 A.M. You are expected to be here eating breakfast and not pestering the maids. For those of you who brought your own maids, be sure you tell them.”

David whispered into Mary’s ear, “Maids? At a summer camp? I know Priscilla is helpless without one, but a summer camp having maids? I thought we were suppose to learn how to camp and things of that nature?”

“At a camp for the rich? Are you nuts? You know they just mustn’t get their hands dirty. After all, who will turn down their beds at night if the maid doesn’t?”
Ms. Davis continued, “Maids are to turn down the beds at 9 p.m., so be prepared to see them coming into your cabin. Obviously, they can’t be in all the cabins at the same time, so they will get to your cabin ASAP. Now onto other matters. Lights out at 11 P.M. sharp. We have a busy day full of activities, so this will be strictly enforced, except for those of you in which parents have written desiring an exception to this rule.”

Mary put her hand to her mouth and whispered to David, “Well, now how else can we teach our kids to burn the rope at both ends if we don’t start with summer camp? You know, the schedule, swing around to 4 different parties - cabins, same difference, stay up til 4 a.m., go to bed and get up by 7 a.m. and out the door by 8.”
David stiffled a giggle.

“David and Mary, is there a joke you would like to share with the others?” Ms. Davis asked.

“Uh, no Ms. Davis.” David said politely. “Sorry Ms. Davis.”

“Anyone caught damaging camp property will have the property replaced out of their own pocket.”Dora leaned over to Ella, David and Mary, “I hope Priscilla’s pocket is very large. She is going to need it with all the damage she does!”

No one dared laugh. Poker face ruled. Inwardly, however, they were groaning.

“And, anyone not at the camp meetings on time or are caught not paying attention during camp meetings will get to stand at attention in the corner, and greet everyone who walks by.”

Priscilla walked in the door. Everyone busted out laughing. Everyone except the infamous four who merely kept their poker face, lest they really let out a howl that gave too much away.

“Enough, everyone. Quiet please.” Ms. Davis turned her attention to Priscilla. “Why are you just arriving?”

“I had a personal issue involving my maid. Everything is under control. Thank you.” Priscilla said that so maturely, that the other children exchanged glances.
Ella leaned over to the others, “Who knew she had it in her? I mean, civility isn’t exactly her middle name.”

Ms. Davis looked Priscilla in the eye. “Please find a seat. I will excuse you this time.”



* * *

No comments:

Post a Comment